Wednesday, December 12, 2007

CX Nats Prologue - Denver Airport

So this is what the season has lead to: a chance to bang bars with the best of the nation. Well, the best in the nation that have decided to show up. My philosophy is that half of winning is just showing up. You can't win if you don't play.

This week has been hectic. Monday morning, Debbie's car wouldn't start so she took mine. I worked from home until noon when I could get someone to jump start it. Then I headed to the airport to verify my luggage size, change my flight, arrange accomodations and rental car with my new Nats roommate and fellow SoCal Crosser, Erik Turner. Tuesday I needed to wrap my bars and I headed to Action Sports. Yeah, I can do it, but this is Nationals, and I want it to look professional (thanks, Sammy). Sam hooked me up with some cold-weather Specialized Radiant gloves and heat for my feet. Then it was back to work, spend time with the family Christmas shopping, then home to tighten my bottom bracket, install my HRM computer, switch my pedals, break apart my Ritchey Break<\>Away cross bike, pack, weigh, unpack, check, and re-check. I ended up getting to bed at 12:30am with a wakeup call at 4 to get to the airport by 5. The nice lady at United, Teri, informed me that my flight from Denver to KC was cancelled, so she booked me on a later PM flight, and put me on Standby for the next earlier flight. She even checked my bags for that earlier flight. These United people are good. I went to the United Customer Service in Denver, and they took me off standby and put me on the next earlier flight. The first hiccup of the the trip is resolved. Sweet. There's nothing better than good customer service. And frequent flier status...;)

No comments: